Jim Partridge, P.E. has extensive experience as a mechanical, plumbing and fire protection engineering for more than 40 years. This includes Engineering Administration (director of mechanical, electrical and structural departments) in a Michigan architectural firm, Director of Mechanical Engineering and Partner in a Michigan engineering and architectural firm. 31 years ago Jim founded his current firm and is the owner/manager specializing in mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection engineering.
Jim has been involved in the design of all building types including: apartments, airports, commercial, industrial, condominiums, custom homes, fire stations, hospitals, office buildings, mausoleums, manufacturing facilities, police stations, public schools, retail shopping centers, universities and warehouse buildings.
His expertise and experience has, and continues to, assist him in expert witness analyses and helps him to assist our clients in assessing installation deficiencies, system failures, and contract disputes. Because of his knowledge of current codes and standards, the client is ensured of a case presentation that is technically accurate and scientifically supportable.
James Partridge Consulting, LLC (8/2001 to present)
Responsible for all evaluations, investigations, forensic analysis and construction field administration.
James Partridge Associates, Inc. (2/1981 to present)
Responsible for all planning, organizations, fees, scheduling, and engineering. Direct control of all engineering design for institutional, industrial, health care and residential projects. Client contacts, sales presentations, and construction administration.
BSME-Lawrence Technological University, 1970
ET- St. Clair College, 1961
Registered professional engineer in the following states: Michigan/1972, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Arizona, North Carolina, Louisiana, Florida, California, Colorado, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Virginia, Washington, Pennsylvania and New York
National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) certified
- Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (CFEI)
- Residential Electrical Fire Investigator
- Certified Water Damage Restoration Technician (IICRC)
- Certified Applied Structural Drying Technician (IICRC)
- Licensed Residential Builder, Michigan #2101192573
- EDI (Exterior Design Institute) Certified Level 1 & 2 Building Envelope Consultant
- Thermal/Infrared Thermography Level 1
Technical Society Memberships:
- American Indoor Air Quality Council (IAQC)
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
- American Society of Plumbing Engineers (ASPE)
- The Association of Energy Engineers (AEE)
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
- National Association of Fire Investigators (NAFI)
- International Code Council (ICC)
- Exterior Design Institute (EDI)
- Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC)
- National Conference of States Building Codes and Standards (NCSBCS)
- National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA)
- Building Environment & Thermal Envelope Council (BETEC), National Institute of Building Sciences (NIBS)
Harley Ellington Pierce Yee Associates (3.5 years)
Mechanical Engineering Division Director (Partner)
Responsible for all mechanical systems design, specifications, cost estimates and related construction documentation requirements for hospitals, mausoleums, and computer facilities, industrial, residential, institutional and similar facilities. Responsible for heating and cooling load calculations, energy studies, sales presentations, client contacts, building condition surveys and construction field observations.
Alden B. Dow, Associates (2.5 years)
Responsible for all mechanical, electrical and structural systems design, specifications, cost estimates and related construction documentation requirements for banks, hospitals, correctional facilities, residential, institutional, recreational, entertainment facilities and other commercial buildings. Responsible for HVAC system selection, operating cost estimates, alternate fuel selections, sales presentations, client contracts and construction field observations.
Hoyem Basso Associates (2 years)
Responsible for mechanical systems design associated with assigned projects including specifications for institutions, ice arenas, regional retail developments, zoological facilities, industrial complexes, recreational facilities and other diversified buildings. Also responsible for heating and cooling calculations, client contacts and construction field observations.
Co-authored the following publications:
- Economic Feasibility of Variable Speed Drives
- Operable versus Fixed Sash Window
- HVAC Replacement (44% Energy Cost Avoidance)
Presentations and Lectures:
- Lawrence Technological University School of Architecture and Design—Part-time Teaching
- University of Michigan—Energy Cost Avoidance in Buildings
- ASHRAE Winter Meeting Dallas—Lumen Christi High School
- World Energy Engineering Congress—Lumen Christi High School
- ASHRAE Technical Seminars - Presentations
- AIA Chapter Technical Meetings - Presentations
- Mechanical Inspectors Association of Michigan - Continuing Education
- Lorman Education Services—Solving Water Intrusion Problems in Michigan
- United Auto Workers Legal—Mold—Causation and Remediation
- Lorman Education Services—Solving Water Intrusion Problems in Michigan
- Lorman Education Services—Advances In Environmental Mold Issues
- University of Detroit Mercy/School of Architecture Continuing Education Conference - Mold, Codes, and Water Intrusion
- Architectural offices (several)—Water Intrusion & Mold
- American Society of Plumbing Engineers - Technical Presentation
- Lorman Education Services—Reducing Liability Associated With Water Damage and Mold during Construction and Renovation in Michigan
- Lorman Education Services—Mold Remediation and Water Restoration in Michigan
- Mechanical Inspectors Association of Michigan - HVAC and Mold
- American Society of Plumbing Engineers—Legal Issues and Liabilities Regarding Mold Institute of Real Estate Management & Detroit Metropolitan Apartment Assoc -Air Sealing/Building Envelope Improvement
- AIA Detroit Chapter, ARE, M/E/P Facilitator
- "The Handyman" with Glenn Haege: Periodic guest expert answering listeners calls regarding building problems and solutions
- "Hire-It-Done" with Adam Helfman: Periodic guest discussing building science
- Mold Seminar: US Army, Hawaii
- Building Enclosure Science & Technology (BEST) Conference, Minneapolis
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Conference, Las Vegas: "Fire & Explosion Investigations (NFPA 921)"
- Conference, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan; "What to do When Construction Projects Go Bad In Michigan"
- University of Wisconsin; "Water Entry Prevention and Moisture Control in Buildings"
- Construction Dispute Resolution Services (CDRS); Mediation & Arbitration Training, Southfield, Michigan
- Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration/DRI-EAZ: Applied Structural Drying Course. Examination taken, certification obtained.
- Mold Abatement Projects: The Remediation Strategy & Project Oversight—Presented by Mid-Atlantic Environmental Hygiene Resource Center (a program of the University City Science Center)
- DRI-EAZ: Restorative Drying Symposium
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning
- Seminar: Vapor Control Strategy: Placement and Permeance of Vapor Retarders
- Symposium: Innovations and Advances in Room Air Distribution
- Seminar: Certified Ratings for Energy Recovery Ventilation: What You Need To Know
- Seminar: New Tools for Psychrometrics
- Seminar: Mold, Mildew Mitigation in Construction
- Seminar: Business Management for ASHRAE Members
- Seminar: Codes & Standards: Perspectives About Commercial Kitchen Ventilation
- Public Session: Residential and Small Building Humidity and Mold Control
- Seminar: Humidification: Back To Basics
- Seminar: Case Studies of Smoke Management System Application
- Michigan State University: The Role of the Expert Witness
- American Indoor Air Quality Council: Certified Indoor Air Quality Consultant. Qualifications to take course reviewed and accepted, examination taken, and certification obtained
- Update training on the State of Michigan Plumbing Code
- Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration (IICRC): Certified Water Damage Technician. Examination taken, certification obtained
- Toxic Mold Environmental Conference (Ontario, Canada)